February 11, 2018

Most important elements of a literature review

For me, to take up a research would be to make a unique contribution to body of knowledge by (1) Creating something that never existed (2) Adding a unique piece of contribution by either plugging gaps in existing theory (3) adding a new dimension to existing theory

For either of above, literature review is essential to first understand if I do have some unique thoughts and points to make of if they are already taken. Then, if they are available - to also learn and see if it was already covered in a particular geo/ cultural context, in a different adaptation, or with a different group of people do I need to adapt it to a context..

So, in essence - it's primarily for 2 objectives:

  1. To get a sense of what I am about to do will it result in really pushing the boundaries of existing knowledge and result in unique contribution to the area I am interested in.
  2. It is also to edify my thinking and research subject so that my research is not an end in itself, but to help more researches/ researchers advance in the area with unique thinking and research aspects..

Further readings suggested - Andrew Booth, Diana Papaioannou, and Anthea Sutton, Systematic Approaches to a Successful Literature Review

No comments: