However, looks like the Obama administration has this concept inbuilt for the stimulus package being built in, and the US is propagating the very concept I'd shooed away in a big way. It's called the Economic Patriotism in a story on the CNN that appeared on the Jan 30, 2009. Guess it's time we too donned the avatar and showed our economic patriotism.
Below is the e-mail forward I'd received from my friend, Harsh Upadhyaya-- India, let's do it! I tried it, it's hard.. but, one at a time, we can do it!
(The content below is from a forwarded email. I cannot certify the origins of the email nor the accuracy of the content. This is not intended to harm anyone, only for information however, accuracy as mentioned afore is not guaranteed.)
Dear All ,
You can make a huge difference to the Indian Economy by following few simple steps.
Please spare a couple of minutes here... for the sake of our Indian economy
I got this article from one of my friend, but it's true, I can see this from day to day life,
Before 6 months 1 US $ = IND Rs 39.
After 6 months. Now it is 1 US $ = IND Rs 49.
Do you think US Economy is booming? No, but Indian Economy is Going Down.
Our Economy is in u'r hands
INDIAN economy is in a crisis. Our country like many other ASIAN countries is undergoing a severe economic crunch. Many INDIAN industries are closing down. The INDIAN economy is in a crisis and if we do not take proper steps to control those, we will be in a critical situation.
More than 30,000 crore rupees of foreign exchange is being siphoned out of our country on products such as cosmetics, snacks, tea, beverages... etc which are grown, produced and consumed here.
A cold drink that costs only 70 / 80 paisa to produce is sold for NINE rupees, and a major chunk of profits from these are sent abroad. This is a serious drain on INDIAN economy.
We have nothing against Multinational companies, but to protect our own interests we request everybody to use INDIAN products only for next two years. With the rise in petrol prices, if we do not do this, the rupee will devalue further and we will end up paying much more for the same products in the near future.
What you can do about it?
- Buy only products manufactured by WHOLLY INDIAN COMPANIES.
- ENROLL as many people as possible for this cause.
This is the only way to save our country from severe economic crisis. You don't need to give-up your lifestyle. You just need to choose an alternate product.
All categories of products are available from WHOLLY INDIAN COMPANIES.
List of Products--
- Cold drinks: Use Lemon juice, fresh fruit juices, chilled Lassi (sweet or sour), Butter milk, Coconut water, Jaljeera, Enerjee, and masala milk... Instead of: Coca cola, Pepsi, Limca, Mirinda, Sprite
- Bathing soaps: Use - Cinthol & other Godrej brands, Santoor, Wipro Shikakai, Mysore sandal, Margo, Neem, Evita, Medimix, Ganga, Nirma bath & Chandrika instead of - Lux, Lifebuoy, Rexona, Liril, Dove, Pears, Hamam, Lesancy, Camay, Palmolive
- Tooth paste: Use - Neem, Babool, Promise, Vico vajradanti, Prudent, Dabur products, Meswak instead of Colgate, Close up, Pepsodent, Cibaca, Forhans, Mentadent.
- Tooth brush: Use – Prudent, Ajanta, Promise instead of - Colgate, Close up, Pepsodent, Forhans, oral-b
- Shaving cream: Use - Godrej, Emani instead of - Palmolive, Old spice, Gillete
- Blade:- Use Supermax, Topaz, Lazer, Ashoka instead of Seven-o-Clock, 365, Gillette
- Talcum powder: Use Santoor, Gokul, Cinthol, Wipro baby powder, Boroplus instead of Ponds, Old spice, Johnson baby powder, shower to shower
- Milk powder: Use Indiana, Amul, Amulya instead of - Anikspray, Milkana, Everyday milk, Milkmaid.
- Shampoo: Use - Lakme, Nirma, Velvet instead of - Halo, All clear, Nyle, Sunsilk, Head & Shoulders, Pantene
- Mobile connections: Use - BSNL, Airtel instead of – Hutch, Virgin,
Every INDIAN product you buy makes a big difference. It saves INDIA . Let us take a firm decision today.
BUY INDIAN TO BE INDIAN we are not against of foreign products.
WE ARE NOT ANTI-MULTINATIONAL. WE ARE TRYING TO SAVE OUR NATION. EVERY DAY IS A STRUGGLE FOR A REAL FREEDOM.
WE ACHIEVED OUR INDEPENDENCE AFTER LOSING MANY LIVES. THEY DIED PAINFULLY TO ENSURE THAT WE LIVE PEACEFULLY. THE CURRENT TREND IS VERY THREATENING.
MULTINATIONALS CALL IT GLOBALISATION OF INDIAN ECONOMY. FOR INDIANS LIKE YOU AND ME IT IS RECOLONISATION OF INDIA ...
THE COLONIST'S LEFT INDIA THEN. BUT THIS TIME THEY WILL MAKE SURE THEY DON'T MAKE ANY MISTAKES. WHO WOULD LIKE TO LET A" GOOSE THAT LAYS GOLDEN EGGS" SLIP AWAY.
PLEASE REMEMBER: POLITICAL FREEDOM IS USELESS WITHOUT ECONOMIC INDEPENDENCE .
RUSSIA , S.KOREA , MEXICO ..........THE LIST IS VERY LONG!!
LET US LEARN FROM THEIR EXPERIENCE AND FROM OUR HISTORY.
LET US DO THE DUTY OF EVERY TRUE INDIAN.
FINALLY: IT'S OBVIOUS THAT U CAN'T GIVE UP ALL OF THE ITEMS MENTIONED ABOVE, SO GIVE UP AT LEAST ONE ITEM TO FOR THE SAKE OF OUR COUNTRY.
We would be sending useless forwards to our friends daily.
Instead please forward this mail to all your friends to create awareness..
"LITTLE DROPS MAKE A GREAT OCEAN ."
Lets do our part by changing our buying habits. No harm in giving it a try.